What to do after a car accident that is not my fault?

Home/Car & Truck Accident Lawyer - Edmonton/What to do after a car accident that is not my fault?
What to do after a car accident that is not my fault? 2019-01-08T16:24:23+00:00

Some of the things you should do immediately after an accident are as follows:

  • If anyone is seriously injured call 911 or call 911 if you suspect anybody is guilty of a criminal offense such as impaired driving.
  • Do not move anyone injured in the collision as you may aggravate their injuries.
  • It is very important to not stand in between two vehicles or behind a vehicle as other vehicles may collide and cause further damages. It is distressing how often this happens.
  • If there are no serious injuries and your vehicle is drivable, move your vehicle to the side of the road.
  • If you’re on a highway move it far into the ditch, far away from the traffic which will not be watching for you.
  • If there’s a serious injury or someone’s suspected of impaired driving, you should not move the vehicles but you can move yourself out of the way into the ditch far from other potential additional collisions. Turn on your hazard lights.
  • If no one is seriously injured or killed and an ambulance or police are not coming then if the total damage to all the vehicles and property appears to be more than $2,000.00 as of January 1st, 2017 in Alberta, you must go to a police station and file a Collision Report Form.
  • Exchange contact and insurance information with all parties involved as well as any witnesses. Use your cell phone to take as many pictures as possible as they can become extremely important later. Preferably take these pictures before moving the vehicles.
  • Notify your insurance company and apply for Section B no-fault benefits from your own insurance company’s contractual provisions which includes up to $50,000 for treatment, and up to $400 per week loss of wages, and in a fatal accident includes a death benefit, grief counseling and up to $5,000 in funeral costs.
  • Do not voluntarily assume liability to anyone else or the police or take responsibility or sign any statements other than requested of the police or your own insurance company.
  • Do not promise to pay for damages at the scene of the collision.
  • If you are injured in the collision see a Primary Healthcare Practitioner (medical doctor or physical therapist) as soon as possible for an assessment of your injuries.
  • Complete a Notice of Loss and Proof of Claim form and retain a copy for your records. Have your Primary Healthcare Practitioner sign it and send it to your insurance company. Then follow the advice of your Primary Healthcare Practitioner for treatment.
  • Contact our lawyers at Handel Law Firm to assess your potential injury claim.