Personal Injury Lawyers Edmonton
If you have been in an accident in the Edmonton area, especially along the very dangerous Highway 63 from Edmonton to Fort McMurray, phone (780) 462-2812. Our experienced injury or fatal accident lawyers will be able to give you the assistance you need on an immediate basis.
Some of the things you should do immediately after an accident are as follows:
- If anyone is seriously injured call 911 or call 911 if you suspect anybody is guilty of a criminal offense such as impaired driving.
- Do not move anyone injured in the collision as you may aggravate their injuries.
- It is very important to not stand in between two vehicles or behind a vehicle as other vehicles may collide and cause further damages. It is distressing how often this happens.
- If there are no serious injuries and your vehicle is drivable, move your vehicle to the side of the road.
- If you’re on a highway move it far into the ditch, far away from the traffic which will not be watching for you.
- If there’s a serious injury or someone’s suspected of impaired driving you should not move the vehicles but you can move yourself out of the way into the ditch far from other potential additional collisions. Turn on your hazard lights.
- If no one is seriously injured or killed and an ambulance and police are not coming then if the total damage to all the vehicles and property appears to be more than $2,000.00 as of January 1st, 2017 in Alberta, you must go to a police station and file a Collision Report Form.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with all parties involved as well as any witnesses. Use your cell phone to take as many pictures as possible as they can become extremely important later. Preferably take these pictures before moving the vehicles.
- Notify your insurance company and apply for Section B no-fault benefits from your own insurance company’s contractual provisions which includes up to $50,000 for treatment, and up to $400 per week loss of wages, and in a fatal accident includes a death benefit, grief counseling and up to $5,000 in funeral costs.
- Do not voluntarily assume liability to anyone else or the police or take responsibility or sign any statements other than requested of the police or your own insurance company.
- Do not promise to pay for damages at the scene of the collision.
- If you are injured in the collision see a Primary Healthcare Practitioner (medical doctor or physical therapist) as soon as possible for an assessment of your injuries.
- Complete a Notice of Loss and Proof of Claim form and retain a copy for your records. Have your Primary Healthcare Practitioner sign it and send it to your insurance company. Then follow the advice of your Primary Healthcare Practitioner for treatment.
Contact a lawyer experienced in personal injury or fatal accident claims. Your lawyer may need to immediately hire an accident reconstruction engineer to reconstruct the accident based upon the data obtained by the police, as the police in Edmonton do not always complete a full reconstruction report even in a fatal accident situation. Handel Law Firm Edmonton will hire an engineering firm who will prepare a full accident reconstruction report.
Do not talk to the other driver’s insurance company. The other driver’s insurance company does not act for you. Indeed, the other insurance company and insurance adjusters act against you and you have no obligation to communicate to them other than to give them your insurance company name and policy number. Give them the name and number of your personal injury lawyer and they can get any other information they want from your lawyer.
If your family has suffered the loss of a loved one or suffered a catastrophic injury because of someone else’s negligence or carelessness, talk to us.
Our Personal Injury Lawyers will meet with you to answer any questions or concerns so that you can make an informed decision whether or not to proceed with a claim. There is no obligation after talking with us as the initial consultation is free.
Handel Law Firm
Suite 904, 10050 112 Street NW
Edmonton, AB T5K 2J1
Phone: (780) 462-2812
“Brent is a very capable, compassionate and practical lawyer who is
very experienced in handling serious personal injury claims.”